Tuesday, September 3, 2013

None of the Prophets Have Written, Nor Prophesied, Save They Have Spoken Concerning This Christ


I did this piece for the most recent LDS Church International Art Competition, I was please to have made it in. I always loved to go to see the winning art at the Church Museum of Art but to be a part of it was a really cool experience. Plus refreshments were served opening night, I felt like a celebrity. Not so much, but it was nice. My blub on this painting.

The message of this painting is that Christ is the source we look to for our salvation. Prophets have testified of Christ’s mission and His saving role throughout the ages (see Jacob 7:11). Prophets today repeat what has been said concerning Him, prophesy of His future coming, and teach us what He would have us do. The prophet in this painting represents all the prophets throughout time. The words coming from his mouth are statements found in the scriptures about Christ. How marvelous are God’s works in giving us prophets to lead us to Him.

I loved incorporating words with the image, I did the word digitally then painted on top. I was thinking of Greg Manchess when I painted this. His illustrations are beautiful, he paints with oil, I actually tried to use his process on this piece. He starts with dark muddy colors pretty thin and as he builds up he paints over the paint he has laid down thicker and more vibrant color.

No comments:

Post a Comment