Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bachelor of Fine Arts Final Project

Sacrifice of Mrs. Lewis

Independence Now, Independence Forever

Fugitive Signer

Cannoneer Nelson

Bulletproof Washington

Black Paul Revere

This was a series of paintings I did so I could graduate from Brigham Young University with an Illustration degree. It was fun to do, I really admire these individuals, they are all from the Revolutionary Period, they all sacrificed to bring about the glorious liberties that we have enjoyed for so long that are now being lost and in the balance. The show was called Revolutionary Heroes, I wanted to tell what I believe is the real story of the Revolution, that has in it sacrifice and miracles. Sometimes we get revisionist history that is really critical of the founding fathers, trying to negate what they brought about.
The thing that was really amazing to me was the people who signed the Declaration of Independence, they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honors. I thought that was just a saying but many of them ended up in prison, their families and they were hunted down. One guy I painted John Hart, he stayed in the woods for about a month during the winter hiding from the Hessian troops. Comes back to find his wife had died in the meantime, he dies prematurely a few years later due to exposure.
The style I tried was puppet looking characters, big heads, hands, and feet. I think if you want to make a good painting or drawing, you have to nail the head and hands, the rest of it doesn't matter as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment