Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Big Friendly Giant



This was a book cover I did for my Narrative 2 class. The book is the BFG by Roald Dahl, as a kid I loved Dahl books including Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. BFG was one of my favorites.

When I created this picture I was thinking of N.C. Wyeth's Pirates.
There is something beautiful about combining gray scale with one strong color. It seems to make a successful piece.

The BFG is of course the Big Friendly Giant, he is a vegetarian (actually he eats mainly one vegetable which is a snozzcumber). His brothers our man-eating, children-eating giants. So in this piece I have the BFG hiding his little friend Sophie cupped in his hands behind him.
While his brothers show up unexpectedly to harass their little brother. I modeled the brothers after motorcyclists, because they can be a rough crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment