Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Great High Priest


I did this piece for the 10th International Church Art Competition,  I am happy to say that it made it into the show. It will be on display from September 29th, 2015 to August 15, 2016 downtown at the Church History Museum.

The painting was kind of daunting, the theme for the show was "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus," I wanted to paint Jesus but I had never tried before. This was my best shot, it was challenging but turned out pretty well I think.

The main idea behind this painting was Christ as the Great High Priest, Paul names Him as such in Hebrews 5. On the Day of Atonement, the high priest would go into the tabernacle or temple and into the Holy of Holies, he would sprinkle the blood of beasts onto the Ark of the Covenant (Mercy Seat) to redeem the sins of Israel. Christ acting as Great High Priest lays down His life and sheds His own blood, that we might be worthy to be brought back into Gods Presence.

There are a lot of other symbols of Christ in this painting, I would rather not explain them. I want the viewer to come up with their own explanations. I feel like its cheating if I give all the answers to the viewer without any work on their part.

2 comments:

  1. Ben, I love this painting. I am a missionary at the Church History Museum. I have a few questions for you about this piece. feel free to message me when you have a minute. byron.b.noel@gmail.com. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this piece available (hopefully as a print on canvas) to purchase?

    ReplyDelete